options to debug kernel hangs ?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Aug 12 10:43:43 UTC 2006

Hi,

I want to try and debug why the 2.6.17 kernels hang on on my system when
rebooting from a suspend-to-disk. 2.6.16 ones seems fine. Unfortunately the
hang happens early, just after the "resuming from /dev/hda9" message, so I
don't get much in the way of info. I have to hard reset.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to help debug this.

Are there any kernel options I could use to get more information out the the
kernel as it loads ?

Would it help if I rebuilt the kernel myself, turning on or off any options ?

Are there anything I can do when the system is hung - I've tried all the
control sequences I know  to get it to tell me something.

ANY suggestions gratefully received - I would really like to try and get to
the bottom of this.

cheers Chris