webcam recommendations

tom poe tompoe at fngi.net
Sat Aug 12 23:10:01 UTC 2006

Ski Dawg wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-12 at 17:07 -0500, tom poe wrote:
>> If I buy the Target or Wal-Mart WinXP cheap ($10 to $15) webcam, will it
>> run on FC5?  Is this one of those, better check for driver software,
>> first things?
>> Any help appreciated.
>> Tom
>
> I did a quick Google search  and found this site that looks promising
> for what you want.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+webcam&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>
> The WebCam HOWTO
> http://www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/index.shtml
>
> and from the above HOWTO, Specific Webcam Models
> http://www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/devices.shtml
>
> HTH,
> --
> Doug
>
> Registered Linux User #285548 (http://counter.li.org)
> Random Thought:
> We only support a 1200 bps connection.

Excellent tip.  I have usb port on my computer, but my daughter's
computer is older, and doesn't.  Her family is about to shop for a
laptop, so I'll make sure she considers making sure she can hook up a
usb webcam to it.  I guess it looks like I'd better plan on spending
upwards of $30 for a linux compatible webcam.
Thanks, again
Tom