webcam recommendations

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Aug 14 20:58:04 UTC 2006

Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> Yup, that would be the horrific instability that I'm referring to.
> According to the developer "it works fine in SuSE-10.1, so it can't be
> a driver bug".

Fedora kernels do get mentioned as being patched out of normalcy on a
couple of driver sites.  But some of the times at least the complaints
are hiding the real problem.  Like the ADSL PCI Modem I tried to get
working for a friend, the driver refused to compile because Fedora
kernels have CONFIG_REGPARM enabled.  This is a very innocuous compiler
option for the kernel, the driver docs said since it was enabled on FC3
the driver is just flat out broken with Fedora.  It turns out the reason
was that the driver relied on a proprietary but evidently distributable
binary blob, which was not itself compiled with CONFIG_REGPARM and so
could not have its contents called reliably from code that was compiled
under CONFIG_REGPARM.

So although it must sometimes be true that Fedora's patches cause
trouble, I am a bit dubious now when I read it mentioned early on in a
driver's docs... too bad the guy didn't suggest adding printk's etc to
find out more.

-Andy