Latest Seamonkey update

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Aug 15 01:23:37 UTC 2006

Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> Greetings Jim,
>
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>>> Greetings Jim ,
>>
>> The installer version works fine. It is the rpm version available from
>> Fedora Extras that seems to be having a problem with SELinux lately.
>
> If you don't mind the problem occurs if the rpm is downloaded from
> any repository or from a specific repository . The reason am asking is
> that there is a chance that my Fedora Core 4 system is unaware of the
> fact that am running Seamonkey 1.0.4 . I mean chances are that i can
> still try to download the rpm version and see how it goes .

The rpms are from fedora-extras. The rpms install in /usr directories
while the installer puts the files it uses in /usr/local. Since they are
located in different directories, they do not clobber each other. I have
run with netscape, mozilla and seamonkey installations with the packages
that are contained in rpms without interference. They do use the same
files under the ~/.mozilla directory and it does not seem to cause any
problems.

>> Chances are then that the rpm version would error on an FC4 system too.
>
> See above , if you wish i can test it .

If you are curious or want to confirm the error, you can.

>> Thanks for revealing that you are using the installer version.
>
> Well it was my mistake not to reveal from the very first moment that
> am using the installer version ( in fact i have always done so , due to
> PSTN restrictions ( yum update is problematic when someone downloads
> with a maximum speed of 5,5 KB/sec ) .

That would present quite a problem. If you will be charged for the
download, it is not important to test. The installer version is pretty
much the same minus the SELinux errors.

>  (Nothing  wrong with the installer version, it worked fine the last time I
>> installed it)
>
> This has been my experience too ( Fedora Core 4 ).

I used the installer version of mozilla before Red Hat adopted mozilla
over netscape version 4.x. It was only available via the installer at
that time. It seems strange that now mozilla is being removed from the
next fedora version, seamonkey (mozilla continued) is going to fedora
extras and firefox and thunderbird are now adopted by Red Hat.

Jim

--
I will never trust someone called GATES that sells WINDOWS.

    -- Federico Román