I hosed FC5 need help with file names and locations to verify all current files are backed up.

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 20:41:39 UTC 2006

Answers amongst:

On 8/15/06, jlgates at charter.net <jlgates at charter.net> wrote:
> I will say sorry right up front because this e-mail is being sent from my ISP account by web browser.  It might be in html.
>
> I hosed my FC5 install.

Sorry to hear that (would love to hear the story if your ego can bear it).

> I am running the box from Knoppix live cd ver 3.6.

You might consider updateing your Knoppix, and for fun and profit, try
Puppy Linux.

> I can get to all my data.  My critical files are almost completely copied over to another box.

Excellent!!!

> I don't know the name or location of the files that hold my address book in KMail

Well frankly I do not use KMail and so may be of little help.
Googleing "Kmail address files" did yeild a bit of info.

My guess is that you can get there from here (see link):

http://www.yoredale.uklinux.net/howtos/sharingkmail.html

Some interesting comments I ran across:

>From :  http://developer.kde.org/~kmail/kmailreview/

Address book bridge

KMail now supports use of the standard KDE addressbook database
library, libkab, and now supports external address book GUIs,
specifically KAB located in the kdeutils package and ABBrowser located
in the kdepim package. Both the KAB and ABBrowser address book GUIs
use libkab for storing address book entries. When using the
traditional KMail addressbook GUI the configuration dialog can be used
to select whether the traditional KMail address book file is used to
store addresses or whether the shared KDE address book database libkab
is used.

When using libkab operations such as Ctrl-T address completion in the
composer and adding a mailto URL from the message preview window into
the addressbook access the shared KDE addressbook.

> and my bookmarks in Firefox.

I do use and have a lot of interest here.  Articles recommended
searching for "bookmarks" (espically html) and there were not too many
of them.  The ones I think most promising (found using "sudo -s"
(makes you "root"), then "updatedb" (makes "locate" aware of all your
files) and then "locate bookmarks"):

/etc/firefox/profile/bookmarks.html
/home/tod/.mozilla/firefox/h93gihtm.default/bookmarks.html
/home/tod/.mozilla/firefox/h93gihtm.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2006-08-15.html
/home/tod/.mozilla/firefox/h93gihtm.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2006-08-11.html
/home/tod/.mozilla/firefox/h93gihtm.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2006-08-12.html
/home/tod/.mozilla/firefox/h93gihtm.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2006-08-13.html
/home/tod/.mozilla/firefox/h93gihtm.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2006-08-14.html
/home/tod/.mozilla/firefox/h93gihtm.default/bookmarks.bak

Yes, the user name here is "tod".

An article about the issue I ran across Googling "which files contain
bookmarks for firefox?":  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks

> I can't get my KMail files (the e-mail that I saved in folders) to move by scp the file names have a lot of puncuation marks in them and the SSH does not like it.  Will these files still work in Kmail if I can zip them, move them, and unzip again?  Or, does some one know a clean simple way to get these files copied over to my other box with the SSH/SCP command in the shell?

The little reading on this I have done would indicate that scp will
not move mail files.  Your idea might work - you might encrypt the
file for added security.

Good Hunting!

Tod