glx not loading even though the log file shows no errors

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 15 19:01:26 UTC 2006

I have an old Nvidia TNT2. I use the "nv" xorg driver. Even though I
load glx, xdpyinfo and glxgears says its not there.

Looking at the log and conf information below and the fact that I have
FC4 upgraded from RH9 system, I think that I still have the old
libglx.so XFree86 module, instead of the Xorg one. If so, I wonder how
this happened and what I should do to correct it?

Any suggestions welcome.

# glxgears
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

/etc/X11/xorg.conf excerpts:
Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "RIVA TNT2"
EndSection

Xorg.0.log excerpt:

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a
(II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.7
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
        Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
        ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) LoadModule: "record"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/librecord.a
(II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org Server Extension
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.2
(II) Loading extension RECORD