Latest Seamonkey update

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Aug 16 00:16:52 UTC 2006

Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> Greetings Jim ,
>
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>>

> < snip >
>
>> The 255 error is a common SELinux problem that I experienced in
>> development to a large degree. I usually apply updates only after
>> putting SELinux into permissive mode before proceeding with upgrades.
>> with the 255 error, it usually leaves two versions of a program within
>> the rpm database.
>
> With the GUI interface there is an option saying
> "Enforcing Current" : Enforcing which i have selected if i remove that
> thing would i enter "permissive mode" ?
> Is there a CLI that can set the thing ?

I have not tried it, but there is system-config-securitylevel-tui which
sounds like a CLI interface. You could also edit the /etc/selinux/config
manually.

Running setenforce 0 in a root terminal will set it to permissive for
the term of your session. Adding enforcing=0 to the kernel line in the
grub.conf will set it to permissive mode on boot.

>>> Well i became quite used to seamonkey/mozilla name it whatever ( the
>>> full suite ) so am not using firefox and thunderbird . Even if the
>>> Fedora Development team drops mozilla i will still continue to download
>>> the installer version and install it for as long as it exists .
>>
>> Either with rpm packaged versions or with the installer version, I
>> prefer the suite over firefox/thunderbird.Unless some better
>  > browser/mailer/HTML editor suiter comes along, so will I.
>
> For me it is just a working recipe that i have become used to , so
> unless there is some pretty serious reason i don't intent to change it,
> you see am just a home user and seamonkey is all i can ask for .
> Since you mentioned HTML editor have you tried Quanta Plus , it's in
> development , am just happy with the browser and the email client , i
> don't need anything more .

I just wanted an editor that can render decent in Linux or Windows and
displays very similar in any brand of browser that the user employs. The
editor in mozilla/firefox works that way for me. I can edit documents
with the editor and it looks the same, even with the IE browsers.
I will try out Quanta Plus for personal use though. It might be
interesting to see a full functional editor compared to a bare bones editor.

>> I see below that there was an FC4 version that you installed. I was
>> not sure if a version in rpm packaging was made for the version of
>> Fedora.
>>

> Ask yum about that . I just entered "yum install seamonkey" and it came
> from download.fedora.redhat.com , so i guess it exists . Btw the funny
> story goes on . After i tried the thing , i tried to remove the rpm
> version . Guess what again another 255 complaining about an scriptlet
> error . A couple of minutes ago i checked and the rpm version was gone
> but due to some error the rpm database wasn't notified . So the rpm
> database believes that the thing is there while it isn't .

It sounds like you might have a lot of such entries on your system since
you have this error with seamonkey and SELinux.

Below is a link to a script within a file that detects multiple versions
of packages installed because of the 255 exit code selinux policy
settings deny while the rpm scriptlet is being run.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JimCornette?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=sg-dupes-mv.sh
There are versions on the email archives with about the same content.
Basically, the script checks your rpm database for multiple versions of
any rpm that is entered in the database. If it finds any multiple
versions of an rpm, it will list both versions and display the output.
I'm guessing your system is littered with such multiple versions
cluttering the rpm database. I doubt seamonkey will be a lone instance.

Regarding the version of seamonkey having the error, getting familiar
with rpm commands like --justdb and --allmatches might help you clear up
the problems with bogus entries in the rpm database. It just might be
time to think about upgrading to FC5, with a clean install.

Jim

--
"Confound these ancestors.... They've stolen our best ideas!"
- Ben Jonson