progress on wifi configuration

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Aug 16 02:36:00 UTC 2006

I tinker with different distros a lot. I recently installed MEPIS 6.0 on my HP
Pavilion laptop with Broadcom 4306 modem. I've gone through a procession of
distros on that machine and have never had consistent ability to connect via
wireless. It worked for awhile with PCLINUXOS, but some update screwed things
up - same with an earlier version of MEPIS. I never succeeded with FC. With
the other two distros, I'd have to do a dance of reconfiguration and prayer
every time I wanted to connect to a new network, and sometimes it worked and
sometimes it didn't. With this latest version of MEPIS, it seemed I was going
to have a similar experience - it did come up working, but it wasn't entirely
reliable, nor intuitive. While troubleshooting my problem on the MEPIS forum,
I was introduced to a program called wifi-radar. After fixing one other
issue, this appears to be the balm that has solved all problems. I have been
connecting to multiple networks today, going back and forth between office
and home - after some minimal configuration, wifi-radar stores the profile
for each network you connect to, and the next time you try, it just finds it
and connects. I just looked, and this program is in Fedora extras. I've never
seen it mentioned here on the list, so I bring it up in case it may help
someone - Gene, are you reading this?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA