FC5: Audio server not working properly on HP workstation

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 16 03:27:09 UTC 2006

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I hope someone can help me out here, as this is a real stickler of a
> problem.
>
> I want to simulcast (live stream via mp3) 4 NOAA Weather Radio stations
> that are broadcast locally. Fine...I install Icecast and Darkice on all
> 4 machines. 3 of the machines are identical: using a SB Live! 5.1 sound
> card on a P4 3 ghz machine and 1.5 GB of RAM, all is well, using an ASUS
> motherboard from SW Technologies. The streaming works fine on all 3
> machines.
>
> But a 4th machine is different. It has only 512 MB of RAM, comes from
> HP, and uses an HDA Intel, Chip: Realtek ALC260 sound card. I can hear
> the audio from the internal speaker when I crank it using alsamixer (and
> I did check the inputs on alsamixer; the radio is connected to the
> microphone jack, and the occasional skipping audio I get indicates that
> part is configured OK). Using the same settings as the other machines,
> the audio either "skips" or doesn't come across at all. I am wondering:
>
> Is it the Intel sound card? Should I get a new SB Live! card?

I would say this is the likely culprit as I've just set up Knoppmyth on
a few Intel D945 boards with HDA and also had problems.

HOWEVER.

Updating those machines to the latest ALSA soon fixed the problem. It's
a pain in the behind but it works and is definitely worth it. The Intel
HDA is as good if not better than Creative's effort. It truly is HD sound.

> Is it because I only have 512 MB of RAM?

Not likely

> Is it something else?
>
> Icecast error logs show no errors. Access logs show normal (x's are in
> place of IP's):
>
> 127.0.0.1 - - [15/Aug/2006:10:59:19 -0500] "SOURCE /wx13 HTTP/1.0" 200
> 19 "-" "DarkIce/0.14 (http://darkice.sourceforge.net/)" 263
> 131.1xx.xx.xx - - [15/Aug/2006:10:59:19 -0500] "GET /wx13 HTTP/1.1" 200
> 2084831 "-" "NSPlayer/11.0.5358.4827 WMFSDK/11.0" 253
>
> Comments? Any help greatly appreciated. Stumped...

> Gilbert Sebenste
> ********

Regards,
Ed.

--
***DISCLAIMER***

The director of Triple D Computer Services does not believe in
disclaimers or signatures - and thinks they are a severe waste of
bandwidth - if you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you
must stand on your head whilst picking your nose and singing the
national anthem.