Is there an easy way to bring my wifi card at boot / init 3?[Scanned]

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Aug 16 11:36:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Chris Bradford wrote:
> [...]
>>> I'm using the bcm43xx built-in kernel driver with the firmware from
>>> my windows driver. It works a treat with Network Manager but I
>>> really want to have this card brought up automatically at startup.
>>> Its a desktop that will only ever connect to the network 'linksys'
>>> that uses wpa-psk encryption if that helps.
>>>
>>> Is there a simple, non-interactive way to do this?
>>
>> Turn off NetworkManager (service NetworkManager stop; chkconfig
>> NetworkManager off).  Then configure the card using
>> system-config-network.
>
> Does system-config-network support WPA now?  I didn't think it did out
> of the box.  I edited ifup-wireless and created ifdown-wireless in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ to call wpa_supplicant to handle
> setting up the WPA connection.  If that's been changed now I'd love to
> know. :)

It looks like system-config-network does not yet support WPA, so some
hand-configuration will be necessary. See wpa_supplicant, and in
particular, /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant,
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.  (Disclaimer:  I don't know much
about hand-configuring wpa_supplicant.  NM does the job for me.)

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu