Is there an easy way to bring my wifi card at boot / init 3?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Aug 16 22:56:12 UTC 2006

Chris Bradford wrote:
> OK looking at this further I reckon there never was a file
> ifdown-wireless.

Correct.  I added that file.  What's handy about using a diff is that
the patch program can do all the hard work for you.  If you wanted to
apply those changes to your files, you could cd to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and run

    $ patch -p1 -b --suffix=.wpa < /path/to/saved/diff

See the patch man page for details. :)

> Therefore I created it and proceeded with the rest of the config.
> However my card still will not connect on startup. I have attached
> the config files for anyone to look at maybe you can see where I am
> going wrong!

Your ifcfg-eth1 has this at the end:

> #NEW
> WPA='YES'
> WPADRIVER='-Dwext'
> #END NEW

The tests added to if{up,down}-wireless include:

"$WPA" = "yes"

This will result in the test being "YES" = "yes" which will fail.  The
case is different.  Also, the wpa_supplicant line already has the -D,
so adding it to $WPADRIVER results in -D-Dwext, which is probably not
what you want. :)

I have this in mine:

WPA=yes
WPADRIVER=wext
RADIOCTRL=yes

I'm not sure if that's the only problem or not.  Add some echos to the
scripts at various places to see where it's reaching, or add set -x
near the top of them so make them spew out a lot of info.  Get it
working so that ifup eth1 and ifdown eth1 work after you've logged in.
Once you get there, it should work on boot as well (but it'll save the
hassle of rebooting constantly while you work it out).

- --
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
    -- Dean Martin