Install vanilla kernel

Mauriat Miranda mirandam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 23:30:41 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, John Wendel <john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil> wrote:

> [1] make a directory (in your home directory) to hold the sources, I
> called mine "kernel".

[snip]
>  > make
>  > make modules_install
>  > make install
>
> [6] Your new kernel has been installed in /boot and /lib/modules, and
> grub has been updated.

If you follow this method, won't you have the (potential) issue that
'/lib/modules/2.6.17/source' and '/lib/modules/2.6.17/build' will be
linked to a location inside your home directory?

While this isn't a serious issue, it makes ~/kernel in your home
directory a NON-temporary location. In that, future drivers or
applications you might compile/install may require headers or other
files from inside there.

-Mauriat