Fedora Core 5 Issues

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Aug 17 21:19:45 UTC 2006

Roger wrote:

> How long did you try running your athlone, hopefully longer than 7 days
> and what services were running on it, were they production type
> services .
>
> I was hosting just over 1000 domains on FC5 and with very disastrous
> consequences so i have moved away from FC5 and another friend of mine
> with a lot more Linux experience tried unsuccessfully to run a
> production server on FC5.

Why do people making this "bleeding edge" complaint
always give such vague information about their problems?
What exactly (or even roughly) went wrong with these "1000 domains"?

And how does a "production server" work any differently
from any other server?

Regarding my problem with an Athlon-64 (Targa) machine,
I'm pretty sure it has to do with X, as I said,
so it is only tangentially related to Fedora.
In fact this machine runs Windows-XP most of the time,
being used by our Polish au pair
to run a program which allows her to talk to and see
her friends and relations in Poland
who are running the same program at their end.
(I think it is called Gadu Gadu.)
So I couldn't run FC in text mode for 7 days,
but it showed no sign of any problems during the few hours I did run it.

I'm pretty sure the problem has something to do
with the Xorg Radeon (9600) driver,
but as I hardly ever run the machine under Linux
it is not worth spending a lot of time on.
I expect it will be solved sooner or later by the Xorg people.

Actually, I find all these discussions about "stability" rather unreal,
as all Windows and Linux distributions seem completely stable to me.
(I tried running Minix-3 last week, and that was certainly not stable,
as run by me; but I am quite willing to believe
I was doing something wrong.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366