x86_64 or i386?

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 17 22:21:44 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 10:38 -0700, Mike Hix wrote:
> I have recently upgraded my hardware, upgrading to FC5, and I’m
> wondering whether to use i386 or x86_64.

I installed both so I could multi-boot. This also allows me to either
chroot to the
i386 root and run i386 program from there, or setup enough PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
info to run i386 programs without needing to chroot. Mostly I need to do
that
for a few sites that insist on using flash so I can run a 32bit firefox.
There
is supposed to be a plugin for firefox that lets the 64bit version run
32bit
plugins, but I haven't experimented with it yet.