kickstart package installation issue

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Aug 17 22:22:52 UTC 2006

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> Greetings,
> I've got a bunch of kickstart scripts that I use for network based
> installations of FC (and RHEL too).  One thing that I've noticed is
> that for x86_64 installations, where RPMs are provided for both x86_64
> and i386 (32bit compatibilty), the 32bit versions just about never get
> installed.
>
> I know that I can expliclty specify individual RPM/package names in
> the %packages section, however I can't find any information on how to
> specify arch.
>
> Is there a way of explicitly specifying the i386 version of the RPM
> should be installed along with the x86_64 when doing a kickstart based
> installation?
>
> thanks!

The syntax is ok for:
package.i386

There have been a few bugs in anaconda versions that forced this
method.  Packages without specifying the arch were just ignored.  The
version of anaconda released on the FC4 CDs had this problem.

For best flexibility, you may wish to determine the arch in part of the
preinstall phase, and pass it to a program that can dynamically create
the ks.cfg file for you -- I like a cgi script executed on a web server
for this.  Then each of the packages in your list could append the
correct arch at run time.

 From the Boot image CD Prompt:

linux ks=http://myserver/cgi-bin/my.cgi?ARCH=x86_64

For example.