Fedora Core 5 Issues

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 03:24:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 19:14, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> These all seem to be kernel problems.
> As I mentioned, I prefer to compile my kernels,
> partly because I like to keep distribution and kernel separate.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless you consider
the distribution's kernel to be broken.

> >> That just leaves non-X applications,
> >> and my impression is that the Fedora RPMs
> >> are nearly always well-tested and reliable.
> >
> > Just not on a lot of hardware....  I have another box with an
> > older adaptec SCSI controller and a really old DEC chip netgear
> > NIC that never has problems.
>
> Which distribution do you consider tests on more hardware?

In a manner of speaking, fedora *is* the test for RHEL
releases (and thus CentOS).  No distribution can test
internally on a huge assortment of hardware, so someone
has to push it out to real users.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com