DVD burner incredibly slow after processor upgrade

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 10:02:18 UTC 2006

On 8/18/06, Mogens Kjaer <mk at crc.dk> wrote:
> > After an upgrade of the processor and motherboard of my computer, the
> > DVD burner became incredibly slow when burning (speed 1.4x). Can one
> > restore the old performance of my burner? I am running kernel-smp on a
> > FC5 machine with a P4 Dual Core processor. My DVD burner is a NEC
> > 3520A.
>
> Most likely, you don't have DMA any more on your burner.
>
> Check with
>
> hdparm /dev/hdc
>
> if your burner is named hdc.
>
> If it isn't on, try this:
>
> hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
>
> and see if it helps. If you can't turn DMA on, you might
> not have support for your IDE controller in your kernel.

Thanks, Mogens. The result of your suggestion was:

# /sbin/hdparm /dev/dvd

/dev/dvd:
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
  unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
  keepsettings =  0 (off)
  readonly     =  0 (off)
  readahead    = 256 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
#

What can I do now?

Paul