best video card for use with open source drivers?

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Fri Aug 18 11:56:15 UTC 2006

> Kevin,
>
> Thanks, thats really helpful to know! I'm going to try some 9250 cards.
> I never could get the 9600 to work right under FC5.

Sigh. I can't get the ATI 9250 to work either. I get a pile of errors,
something about "Requesting insufficient memory window" on my HP
D330M... although google hints that this might be fixed in xorg 7.1.
We'll see when FC6 comes out.

Back to closed-source nvidia 5200 for now :-(

Maybe Red Hat should sponsor development of a decent open-source video
card... get someone to put one of those Intel chips on an AGP card. It
sure would make Linux much easier to administer! Linux will be confined
to server roles only if it's always a struggle to get decent video
performance.

- Mike