Query Regarding Mail Server

Manish Kathuria manish at tuxspace.com
Fri Aug 18 13:16:50 UTC 2006

Vinayak Mahadevan wrote:
> When I try pinging the machine which hosts the proxy server I get a response
> but when I try pinging the machine who's ip address I have given in the dns
> server address the message I get is "network unreachable".

Is the DNS server running in your LAN or is it some external host ? In
the latter case, your firewall must allow DNS lookups by the hosts in
the LAN i.e. allow access to outgoing destination port 53 (udp) from the
LAN. Ideally you should run a caching DNS server on the mail server itself.

--
Manish Kathuria
http://www.tuxspace.com/