Problems configuring gateway/firewall with static IP addresses - RESOLVED

Matt Singerman msingerman at ncemch.org
Fri Aug 18 14:24:56 UTC 2006

Hi all,

After sending my last email, I realized I was doing everything
completely incorrectly and reconfigured the machine to act as a network
bridge.  It took me about 20 minutes to set up and is working
flawlessly.  Thanks for your help!

Matt Singerman wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> Wow...  This all seems, uh, complicated.  Maybe I am going about this
> in the wrong way?  Our existing gateway machine definitely doesn't
> have a configuration this complex, especially since I don't have any
> control over 141.161.185.38.  What would be the best method to
> firewall off just one part of a network - to have just a few servers
> on 141.161.111.x behind a firewall, and all the other machines on that
> same network not behind it?  Am I making things too complicated here?
>
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Ed Greshko wrote:
>>
>>> I wrote....

>>> That was only an example.  The important thing is that the netmask
>>> needs
>>> to be 255.255.255.252 which gives you only 4 IP address on that
>>> interface and of these only 2 are usable as the others are the network
>>> address and the broadcast address.
>>>
>>> You could have...
>>> IPADDR=141.161.111.242  for eth0
>>> IPADDR=141.161.111.241  for 141.161.185.38 interface
>>> Broadcast=141.161.111.243