have only smp kernel, need up kernel

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Fri Aug 18 20:49:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 01:15:18PM -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > For whatever reason, though I have a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading,
> > my system freezes up with an smp kernel.
> > It also damages my filesystem.
> > When I installed FC5 last night, it only gave me an smp kernel.
> > How do I get a up kernel?
>
> As root, or via sudo, "yum install kernel".

I don't need to specifically ask for a uniprocessor kernel?
I'm running in rescue/read-only mode
to keep what I've got from destroying my files.
What do I need to make writeable for yum to work?

> Does the lockup still occur if you disable hyperthreading in the BIOS?

I can't figure out how to get to the BIOS.
When I push the reset button, a lot of stuff goes by
before I see the grub screen.
Neither Esc, F1, F12, Pause/Break nor anything else I've
tried gets me to the BIOS screen.

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"it stands to reason that they weren't always called the ancients."