x86_64 or i386?

Nathan Grennan fedora-list at cygnusx-1.org
Sat Aug 19 00:22:31 UTC 2006

Matthew Miller wrote:
> But really, you're tempting fate to use any version Fedora on a production
> server. If you need free, CentOS fills this part of the ecosystem.

  I have actually had better luck with Fedora on production servers. A
few months ago I started converting machines from Fedora to CentOS for
the slower pace and longer updates. It wasn't my personal choice, but
CentOS fit with what my boss expected.

  At first it went really well. Then I ran into a server with an old
raid controller. The CentOS 4.x kernel doesn't support it out of the
box. You have to hand compile it for each new kernel. Where as CentOS 3
and Fedora do. RHEL 4 would have the same problem though. Then I had one
server running CentOS oops, but didn't get enough of the it to track it
down. The next day I had another server running CentOS hang. Neither has
repeatedly since then.

  I started researching it, and found mention that Red Hat was compiling
errata kernel with versions of the compiler from their beta channel, or
later a completely unreleased version. People mentioned they suspected
that some of the instability they have seen in CentOS 4.x kernels comes
from not being able to compile the source rpm with the exact same
version of the compiler Red Hat used.