RAID recovery????

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Sat Aug 19 12:19:52 UTC 2006

Well I figured it out, actually pretty simple once you realize what's
going on.  To recover the RAID volumes I did the following:

Boot the linux distribution CD with the command "linux rescue"  The
system didn't find any of my partitions which is what I expected.
next I used fdisk to partition the new disk and set the partition type
to be 0xdf (Linux Raid).  Since the /boot partition was RAID-1 I just
had to simply format the new /boot partition as ext3 and copy the old to
the new with dump/restore, run grub to lay down a new boot loader etc.

The fun part now began, how to recreate the other partitions which were
stripped with RAID-5.  After much looking around I found the command
mdadm which allows you to manipulate the RAID volumes.  At this point I
verified my partitions with "mdadm --query /dev/sdbX" to make sure which
partition used to belong to which RAID volume.  Once I positively
identified the remaining members of each group I  then issued the command:

mdadm --assemble /dev/md1 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdc2 /dev/sdd2
That would bring the volume up with 3 of the 4 volume members, I then
added the 4th member with the command:
mdadm /dev/md1 -a /dev/sda2

At this point the system would happily chug away rebuilding the missing
volume member.

I repeated the above for each of the raid volumes and at that point was
able to reload the system.

Jeff