upgraded FC3 to FC4 and then FC4 to FC5

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 17:00:44 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 16:18 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
>
> >> I'm probably going to go this route.  I just need some time.  My
> >> weekends have been busy this summer, but the last two in August are so
> >> far empty.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
> >
> > I tried the yum upgrade... never will I do that again.
>
> Why?

That machine is still sitting the the corner as it has data that I need
from it. I did the yum upgrade route, something must have changed or
gotten changed regards to UDEV, so the machine stalls for about 5
minutes during re-boot with a UDEV error, until UDEV figures it can just
go on to boot, and then the machine runs just fine. It's maddening. No
fix for it in almost a 7 months.

I'll go with a clean install every time now. You have no clue going in
just what has changed significantly from one release to the next and
there is no way humanly possible to script an upgrade script to cover
all possible contingency's... so the odds are something either will
break or not become upgraded that would be useful. You stand the slight
risk of losing it all. So, I'd get the data off somewhere safe, make a
pile of notes about the present installation, save it somewhere, then do
a fresh install. Then Fedora will spin in greased grooves. Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/