How to create an RPM from a source tarball?

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Sat Aug 19 20:42:23 UTC 2006

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 01:23 +0300, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>> Greetings Aly,

> root at wayward4now Desktop]# rpmbuild -ta nxbuilder-2.0.0-23.tar.gz
> error: Name field must be present in package: (main package)
> error: Version field must be present in package: (main package)
> error: Release field must be present in package: (main package)
> error: Summary field must be present in package: (main package)
> error: Group field must be present in package: (main package)
> error: License field must be present in package: (main package)
> [root at wayward4now Desktop]#

2 notes here .

1st. I have failed to find a reference to nxbuilder in general
2nd. Seriously now , i got the above message when the tarball actually
didn't include a spec file . The rpmbuild man page is way too poor on
this but it merely seems from indirect references that rpmbuild needs
the spec file is order to work . Now if the spec file has to be placed
on the root directory of the tarball or if it must have a specific
syntax in order for rpmbuild to work , that is something that i don't know .

Kostas