upgraded FC3 to FC4 and then FC4 to FC5

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Aug 19 22:55:41 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
>
>>> I'm probably going to go this route.  I just need some time.  My
>>> weekends have been busy this summer, but the last two in August are so
>>> far empty.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
>> I tried the yum upgrade... never will I do that again.
>
> Why?
>
> [Very occasionally it is the only option, in my experience,
> eg neither the CDs nor hard disk installation worked with FC5
> on my Sony Picturebook (C1FVK) - now sadly defunct -
> but yum upgrade did, although it took 12 hours.]

I had to opt for yum upgrade vs. using the installer on my upgrade from
FC4 to FC5. I used the downloaded dvd content to setup local repositories.
The installer gave an exception. It was the final release. I filed a bug
report, but it would not yield results.
Everything worked fine except for a network problem where the interfaces
had to be disabled and then enabled afterward on initial install. Later
with the updates for FC5, the problem was fixed by an upgraded group of
packages.
Depending on the intended usage for the machine, upgrades are a great
option. I would rather not have to configure setups for the many
services that I use roughly every six months.
Fresh installs are great if you want the system to have all of the
latest configuration defaults and do not want to chance that something
you used to use is gone from the distribution or the defaults are very
poor for the intended usage of the system.

If the installer worked well for every system and intended system use,
using the installer would be ideal.

Jim

--
Encyclopedia for sale by father.  Son knows everything.