backspace, delete woes

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 00:23:13 UTC 2006

On 20/08/06, Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> With FC5, I have a problem I didn't have with FC3.
> When, from an xterm, I ssh to another machine,
> vi on the remote machine does not like my backspace key.

Around FC4 time I added this to my .Xresources file to fix this problem

XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \
              <Key>BackSpace: string(0x7F)\n\
              <Key>Delete:    string("\033[3~")\n\
              <Key>Home:      string("\033[1~")\n\
              <Key>End:       string("\033[4~")
XTerm*ttyModes: erase ^?

This fixed the problem you report for me, when I ssh from one FC4/5
box to another FC4/5 box using an xterm. HTH. YMMV.

Perhaps this should be bugzilla'd actually.

Jonathan