A basic 'newbie' question

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Aug 21 12:01:30 UTC 2006

Croombe F. Pensom wrote:

> One tip, though (and this probably applies to any distro) try to keep
> your /home on a separate drive if at all possible (hard drives are so
> cheap these days anyway) or at least on a completely separate partition.
> In this way, you can hang on to all your files and settings without
> having to run through "preferences" again and again! During the install
> you merely tell the install GUI to do "custom" partitioning and then you
> indicate that you want /home left as is -- doing this ensures that your
> files stay put and that the partition doesn't get formatted.

I don't see any advantage in having /home on a separate drive,
as opposed to a separate partition (which I would always do).

But if you do have a second drive, or a lot of space on your first drive,
it seems to me well worth while installing the new version of FC
on a new partition, while keeping the old FC.
That way you can run the old FC
while ironing out any problems with the new one.
(I always keep /boot on a separate partition,
so I can boot either FC.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366