No drives listed at "computer:///"

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 22:44:24 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 09:04 +0200, Joachim Selke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when I open the "computer:///"-location in GNOME there should be a list
> of all my drives (CD drive, floppy, ...). On my system I only see the
> list entries "filesystem" and "network". My DVD recorder and my floppy
> drive are not listed. But I can mount and access them manually per
> /dev/dvd (symlink to /dev/scd0)and /dev/floppy-fd0 (symlink to
> /dev/fd0). Automounting of medias inserted into the DVD drive does not
> work either. I did a fresh install of FC5 and made a complete update via
> yum.
>
> Do you have any hints about what's going wrong?
>
> My mainboard is an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe (x86_64, NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI
> MCP chipset). My DVD recorder is a Plextor PX-760SA (SATA).
>
> I would like to file this bug in Bugzilla but I don't now what component
> is affected. Is this a GNOME related bug?

I think all of your stuff would have worked at first, before you
upgraded. One of the newer kernels or SOMETHING decided that the old
SATA scheme of dev/scd(x) has been changed to /dev/hd(x) and now all DvD
player apps complain that they cannot now access nor find the device.
Xine complains, but when I hit the DvD button the movie cranks right up.
I've been bitching about this for months. Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/