A basic 'newbie' question

Keith Powell keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 16:16:32 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 4:19 pm, Jack Gates wrote:

> > > That sucks!
> >
> > A brief explanation.
> >
> > Here in the UK, generally speaking, the cheapest broadband allows
> > 1GB a month data transfer, at a slow rate. Pay more each month,
> > and you can increase the data transfer to 2GB, 4GB and so on
> > until there is no limit on the amount. Then, for a greater cost,
> > this is repeated but with a fast download rate.
> >

> So what is the range of the rate there?

Here is the very basic information from my own ISP:

Basic broadband, (no frills, just a few addresses), £9.99 per month,
1GB/month cap, £2.25 for each extra 1GB.

Standard broadband, (unlimited addresses, web hosting, some broadband
phone, etc), £14.99 per month, 2GB/month cap, £1.50 for each extra
2GB.

Premium broadband, (even more frills) £21.99 per month, 20GB/month
capping during peak periods, unlimited off-peak.

All officially 8MB download speed, but it depends on the local British
Telecom system. All packages have free help.

Other ISPs vary, but I think this is about average.

No idea about cable prices.

HTH

Keith