web interface vs nntp

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Aug 22 21:32:32 UTC 2006

hawat.thufir at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm posting via gmane (awesome) but want to search the archives.  I
> recall <http://www.fedoraforum.org/> and, IIRC,
> <http://fcp.homelinux.org/> as well.  Of course, it now occurs to me
> to head on over to <http://www.gmane.org/> directly!  :)
>
> I was going to ask a question, but think I'll google (?) gmane first :)

I use procmail to siphon of my mailing lists into their own seperate
mailboxes.  Then I use Thunderbird to connect to dovecot IMAP on my
system.  Then I subscribe to those mailboxes (they show on a list of
subscribable folders).  Then I tell thunderbird to sort by date and view
by thread on those folders.

It works like a champ.  Thunderbird has very strong search
capabilities.  It allows searching headers and message bodies
separately.  Very nice.

Currently I have this mailing list intact since '5 Jul 2006 '.  It is:
...  31M Aug 22 15:21 fedora
about 31 MB.  Thunderbird shows no performance penalty dealing with this
and other large mailboxes.