Authentication with SMART_HOST in sendmail?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Aug 22 21:48:14 UTC 2006

David Limón Romero schrieb:

> Hello, I have a server with FC4 running as mail server, it's on a DSL
> line and it's having problems sending mail to certain domains (hotmail,
> yahoo and others), I found in sendmail than using SMART_HOST it could
> transfer all outgoing mail to another server (my ISP's mail server),
> AFAIK that server doesn't require authentication; with SMART_HOST

So you know that the ISP's MTA does not require SMTP AUTH for you to relay?

> enabled, sendmail resends its load to the ISP mail server, but I'm
> confused about how to make my sendmail to authenticate with my ISP mail
> server (yes, my sendmail as client)

If the ISP's does demands SMTP AUTH by you to relay for you - why do you
want to setup Sendmail client SMTP AUTH?
AUTH must be offered to be successfully initiated by a client.

> Can anyone give me a hint?
>
> TIA
> David

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html#smtpclient