Wyse "Windows CE" terminals and Fedora Core server

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 22 22:33:03 UTC 2006

Frank Cox wrote:
> Is there any way to use Wyse terminals running Windows CE (dated 1999) with a
> Fedora Core application server?
>
> I currently use ltsp and some old computers for terminals on that, but just got
> a bunch of old Wyse terminals and would like to get them going on that network
> as well, if I can.

If nothing else, you can get Java for it, and install a Java based X
server. (There are a couple of them.) I don't know what performance
will be like. There is also a VNC client for Windows CE if you want
to go that route. I am not sure about a native X server for CE...

Depending on the processor, and the other hardware, you may also be
able to boot Linux on the terminal using a modification of one of
the embedded Linux distributions.

Mikkel