linux IP address (change)

Brad Bonkoski bbonkoski at mediaguide.com
Wed Aug 23 13:51:45 UTC 2006

Matthew Benjamin wrote:

> On 8/23/06, *Brad Bonkoski* <bbonkoski at mediaguide.com
> <mailto:bbonkoski at mediaguide.com>> wrote:
>

>     Ankush Grover wrote:
>     > On 8/23/06, Matthew Benjamin <msbenjamin12 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:msbenjamin12 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >> What is the easiest way from command line to set or change the IP
>     >> address of
>     >> a linux box (FC4)?
>     >>
>     >> --
>     > edit this file
>     >
>     > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (for eth0) and change the
>     > value of IPADDR to whatever address you want to put
>     >
>     > for example
>     > IPADDR=192.168.1.125 <http://192.168.1.125>
>     >
>     > Regards
>     >
>     > Ankush Grover
>     >
>     The above will make the setting permanent (of course you will also
>     have
>     to run:
>     /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
>     /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
>

>     if you just want to *test* a new setting (i.e. not permanent)
>     /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.268.1.111 netmask 255.255.255.0
>     <http://255.255.255.0>
>     is the command.
>     -B
>
>     --
>

> can you add a switch to the ifconfig command to make it permanent?
>
> --
> mB.
I would say 'no', but man ifconfig would be more authoritative.

Keeping the settings requires the update of the file mentioned by the
other poster.  And ifconfig *reads* this file, I don't believe it writes
to it though.
Redhat has their customary system-config-* utils the network flavors
probably write to that file, but not sure if they work from the command
line.