syslogd messages, FC5, kernel 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Aug 23 19:43:53 UTC 2006

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> I can turn on the machine and connect to the internet
> with an external modem and see if the kernel oops
> happens again.

You need to stop the slamr driver from getting loaded too in order to
make a reasonable test.  You can add

install slamr /bin/true

/etc/modprobe.conf

to defeat the loading of that module, then reboot.  Run

lsmod | grep slamr

to confirm on reboot.

> Thanks for your suggestions,  hopefully when a newer
> kernel is released I'll install it and the problem
> goes away.

I note you can't say slamr without saying lamr!  If that is the source
of the problem, as it might be, a newer kernel isn't going to help.

-Andy