removing old Kernels

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Wed Aug 23 22:33:03 UTC 2006

Greeting Jose,

Pichin wrote:
> Can someone tell me how to remove old kernels, I have about 5 old kernels and only use one (the most recent one)..

There are two places that you have to visit .

1. the /boot directory

In here you will find a set of three files for each kernel version that
you have installed for example

initrd-2.6.17.8.img
System.map-2.6.17.8
vmlinuz-2.6.17.8

If you wish to remove the 2.6.17.8 kernel then you will have to remove
the above three files .

Beware of one thing here

There is a symbolic link for System.map
You will have to make sure that it doesn't point in our
example to System.map-2.6.17.8
Also there is a symbolic link for vmlinuz , so again you will have to
pay attention that it doesn't point to the file you want to delete .

After you clean the above set of 3 files from the boot directory (
initrd,System.map,vmlinuz) you have to go to the /lib/modules/ directory
There is the location that the kernel modules are stored .
Delete all the directories that corespond to the kernels that you don't
want to keep .

HTH,

Kostas