fast track p2p (kazaa network)

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 05:08:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> From: Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.co.yu>
> Subject: Re: fast track p2p (kazaa network)
> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
>
> On Wednesday 23 August 2006 06:04, Thufir wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Phil Meyer wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> I suspect that you need to open your router ports.  Check the log in your
>>> .giFT directory.
>>
>> It's not my router, I don't have control over it.  Can I determine which
>> ports are open on the router?  Change in topic!
>
> man nmap
>
> In short, "nmap router-ip-address", or "nmap -P0 router-ip-address" (if ping
> is filtered) will tell you what ports are open, closed or filtered...
>
> Best regards, :-)
> Marko
>
> P. S. You may need to wait a couple of minutes for nmap to querry all ports
> before you get any output...

Heh, I like the following URL, "insecure" :)

[thufir at arrakis Desktop]$
[thufir at arrakis Desktop]$
[thufir at arrakis Desktop]$ nmap 192.168.2.1

Starting Nmap 4.03 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-08-24 04:21
IST
Interesting ports on 192.168.2.1:
(The 1672 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT   STATE    SERVICE
67/tcp filtered dhcps
80/tcp open     http

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1527.709 seconds
[thufir at arrakis Desktop]$ date
Thu Aug 24 06:02:26 IST 2006
[thufir at arrakis Desktop]$

Took forever! I'm not sure how long 1527 sec is, but it's long enough that
I went mcdonalds :)

ouch, 25 min.

So, what I want to do is hook in that information with any p2p software,
such as bittorrent, yes?  Of course, the ISP might be doing something,
too.  Hmmm.  Depending on what the ISP and network admin do, I would want
those settings dynamic, presumably.

--
Thufir
<http://hawat.thufir.googlepages.com/>