[OT] LCD resolutions

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Thu Aug 24 13:21:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-23-08 at 13:42 -0400, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I interpret the 135 MHz as a maximum pixel clock spec.  1280 columns *
> 1024 rows = 1,310,720 total pixels per frame.  At 135 MHz, this
> implies (to me) that you could update (i.e. refresh) the display at a
> maximum rate of 103 times per second.

I realized this after sending my original message to the list.  Once I
figured out that the 135 Mhz was the pixel clock, my confusion ended.

Thanks for pointing it out.

> Just out of curiosity...
> What LCD Monitor are you looking at?  Does it have a digital interface
> to the graphics adapter or an analog interface?  Is the digital
> interface serial (in which case you need to divide my 103 Hz refresh
> rate by 8, 16, or 24 -- yech!) or is the digital interface parallel?
> I expect these are all standardized by some DVI specification, but I
> have no expertise in that area (if that's not totally obvious by my
> post thus far).

I was looking at a couple of Samsung and several Viewsonic LCDs.  They
are all either analog only or dual DVI/Analog.  At least now I know
they'll work with the on board video in the thin clients (Via EPIA
based).

> perhaps this helps... probably not :-)

I now know a little more about LCDs than I did before I read your
message.  I will more than likely forget it all quite soon.  I still
appreciate the reply, though. :)

Regards,

Ranbir

--