Bug in Graphical Network Configuration???

Deepak Shrestha d88pak at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 16:28:17 UTC 2006

> What do you mean by they gave you a new "DNS address", though?

what I mean by this is my ISP gave me their new DNS address so that I
can configure in my box and that's what I did. I didn't gave DNS
address, instead I set the new primary and secondary DNS servers in my
network cofiguration.

> # locate hosts |grep /etc
> /etc/hosts
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts
> ...[snip]...
>
> It's been a while since I played with dialup, but I think the idea was,
> during dialup to use one as a template, and modify the /etc/hosts while
> connected, then put it back as it was after disconnection.  I can
> remember that malarkey with the /etc/resolv.conf file, but I can't
> really remember what changes were made to hosts files.
>
> If you edit, and restart the network, out of sequence, you might have a
> bit of confusion.

It was not out of sequence. What I did was simply changed the old
primary and secondary DNS address to new one. Reactivated the network.
All of a sudden my hostname is changed together with that.

My question is still remains:
Does this utility just wipes out everything and rewrites without
considering what is already been configured?