Need help with network aliases and firewall (FC4)

Mike Wright xktnniuymlla at mailinator.com
Thu Aug 24 21:59:17 UTC 2006

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 August 2006 17:09, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>
>>Short version:
>>
>>My eth2 device is supposed to listen to two different IP addresses, so I
>>created an alias, eth2:1.

 From what I can figure, and I could be quite wrong, using alias devices
is deprecated.  I've been using /sbin/ip alot to configure devices and
routes.

Here's a made up example that you may be able to use as a base for what
you are trying to do.

/sbin/ip address add 10.0.0.1/24 device eth1
/sbin/ip address add 10.0.0.2/24 device eth1
/sbin/ip link set device eth1 up

# eth1 now has 2 IPs and is up.  You can check that with either ifconfig
#  or with /sbin/ip link list -or- /sbin/ip address list

# if you need you can specify that all traffic for that subnet be routed
#  through that device

/sbin/ip route add 10.0.0.0/24 device eth1

# or that it be your default route

/sbin/ip route add default via 10.0.0.1(or 2) device eth1

/sbin/ip is very powerful.  I highly recommend it to anyone doing
anything at all with networks.

Hope that helps,
Mike Wright

However, I cannot communicate to it unless the