Help me troubleshoot my install problem?

Jafar jafaruddin.lie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 00:14:09 UTC 2006

Here's my problem.
I was running FC4 fine on my PC, on old Asus A7v333 motherboard, running
Athlon XP 2400.
2 HD, 80GB running as RAID 1.
It came with built-in Promise RAID controller, which I turned off because
FC4 install didn't like it.
I tried to install FC5, and for some reason Anaconda detected the RAID
controller and installed in /dev/mapper/pdcxxxxx instead of /dev/hda or
/dev/hdb (this is after it has been turned off for 1 year). On restart, I
got only to just after the POST screen, with the word GRUB and a blinking
cursor.

No problems, I figured. I turned RAID back on, install went fine, booted
fine and I went in and updated everything via yum.
Trouble begins then since the computer won't boot to the new kernel (
2.6.17-1.2174_FC5) It hung after "Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting".
Just sits there.

Anyways, I noticed that before "Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting", I saw
a bunch of "Buffer I/O on /dev/hdg2" errors, so I thought that was the
problem.
I replaced both of the 80GB with 2 new 160GB., reran the install. It went
fine, detected the HDs and all, but now similar problem happens right after
rebooting after the install (kernel 2.6.15), so I didn't actually get to the
part where you setup your soundcard, etc because (again) it hung after "Red
Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting". Any suggestions? Thanks guys. :)

--
Registered Linux user no. 384430