fc5 : raid array does not appear as one drive?

Rich Bishop rjb38 at drexel.edu
Fri Aug 25 14:58:00 UTC 2006

dirk ooms wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> My server has an on-board raid controller (Intel ICH7R) that has one raid 1
> array configured (2 SATA disks). The controller uses the Adaptec driver.
>
> In the FC5 documentation i read "Each active RAID array appears as one drive
> within Fedora" (chapter 5), but during the fedora install procedure two
> drives are detected: sda and sdb.
>
> What am i missing?
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance.
>
> dirk

The controller probably isn't a truly hardware raid - a number of the
SATA raid controllers also require a software (driver) component.
Without this, you'll see both drives even though your BIOS says they're
raided. We've seen the same thing on some IBM machines (x306?) and
decided to use linux software (md) raid instead.

Rich