Need help with network aliases and firewall (FC4)

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Fri Aug 25 21:49:04 UTC 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 23:59, Mike Wright wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 August 2006 17:09, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> >>My eth2 device is supposed to listen to two different IP addresses, so I
> >>created an alias, eth2:1.
>
>  From what I can figure, and I could be quite wrong, using alias devices
> is deprecated.  I've been using /sbin/ip alot to configure devices and
> routes.

Well, that's news! I wasn't aware of that. :-)

> Here's a made up example that you may be able to use as a base for what
> you are trying to do.
>
> /sbin/ip address add 10.0.0.1/24 device eth1
> /sbin/ip address add 10.0.0.2/24 device eth1
> /sbin/ip link set device eth1 up
>
> # eth1 now has 2 IPs and is up.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it. Don't know if firestarter will
comprehend that correctly (as I looked at it's internals, it turned out to be
not a very clever program...), but /sbin/ip is definitely worth looking at,
and maybe will help in my situation. :-)

Thanks! :-)
Marko