Top command

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 08:41:49 UTC 2006

On 8/25/06, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/25/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 13:42 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > > I wanted to capture the dynamic output to a file.
> > > I did run the below command
> > > #top -d 1 > output
> > > it doesnot work
> >
> > It did here, but I had to manually kill it.  There's other options you
> > can use if you want it to terminate by itself, straight away, or in a
> > while.  Check the man file for batch operations, and similar.
> >
> > --
> > (Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)
> >
> > Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
> > I read messages from the public lists.
> >
> > --
> >
> Hi Tod
>
> I did top -b > testcheck and did ctrl-c I could see that its not refreshed
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 117K Aug 25 15:00 testcheck
> [root at e test]#
>
> the size of the file testcheck doesnot increase
>
> you said to use dapper, can you point me to the URL of dapper
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Kaushal
>
> --

Hi again Kaushal Shriyan!

It looks like other have guided you well here and I am sure you are on
top of it all.

Yes, I mentioned that I was useing Dapper (Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper")
simply becasue there are sometimes differances in how the two
distrobutions operate.  Normally I have FC5 available and can actually
run a terminal so I can make sure not to lead you down a wrong
frustrateing path.  I will have FC5 back up soon I hope.  Actually I
would really like to run Xen and be able to switch "hot" between
Ubuntu and FC5.  It would make list responses easier (I am on the
Fedora and Ubuntu lists).

Enjoy Linux!

Tod