Find every instance of hostname

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 17:01:38 UTC 2006

On Saturday 26 August 2006 15:51, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I have a small problem on my laptop which springs from the sender of an
> > email being set as logwatch.localhost.localdomain.  I have so far been
> > unable to find which config file needs editing to get the correct
> > hostname, so I'd like to be able to search this box, where everything is
> > fine, for config files that contain the box's hostname.  I could then
> > check the list against the ones on the laptop.
> >
> > It should be simple enough to do using find and grep, but I can't get a
> > command that gives me the output I need.  How can I do it?
> >
> > Anne
>
> chances are, this is not going to help you solve your problem. It
> sounds like your mail program is using the default hostname assigned
> to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts. I do not know if you are using Sendmail,
> Postfix, or something else, so I can not tell you the config file to
> change. But chances are, you will not find localhost.localnet in
> that file.

Hi, Mikkel.  No, I wasn't trying to.  I was going to search this box (which
behaves properly) for david.lydgate.lan.  I'm using postfix.sendmail on both
this box and the laptop that has the problem.

It may not be the 'approved method' but I've now got it to use 'lydgate.lan'
in the From line by putting an explicit 'mydomain = lydgate.lan' into
main.cf.  I tried adding 'hostname = packbell' and even 'localhost =
packbell' but neither made any difference.  The latest version, with the
'mydomain' line in, sends the audit report from logwatch at lydgate.lan.

Anne