Find every instance of hostname

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Aug 26 17:54:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 07:48 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I have a small problem on my laptop which springs from the sender of an email
> being set as logwatch.localhost.localdomain.  I have so far been unable to
> find which config file needs editing to get the correct hostname, so I'd like
> to be able to search this box, where everything is fine, for config files
> that contain the box's hostname.  I could then check the list against the ones
> on the laptop.
>
> It should be simple enough to do using find and grep, but I can't get a
> command that gives me the output I need.  How can I do it?
----
1 - hostname...

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=lin-workstation.azapple.com
GATEWAY=192.168.2.254

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.2.10            lin-workstation.azapple.com lin-workstation

2 - grep

# grep -r localhost.localdomain /*

if root...

if user, then to filter out the 'Permission denied'

$ grep -r localhost.localdomain /etc/* > /tmp/test.txt

will display standard error on screen but the stuff you want will go
into the file you created

I'm sure that others more skilled in bash can give you other
alternatives but this will work.

Craig