vi editor

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat Aug 26 23:47:36 UTC 2006

On 26Jun2006 13:04, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:
| Les Mikesell wrote:
| > No, I didn't actually try it in vim.  It was that way in vi long ago
| > and I've given up on keeping track of what versions have what
| > different behavior.  But now that you mention it, none of the
| > versions I use regularly need the space - and the other old quirk of
| > not taking a repeat count for 'r' is fixed too.
|
| Ahh, at least I know it's not something magical about my vimrc then.

I don't know about :r, but :w and :q have always taken a following "!"
to mean "skip the sanity checks". So if you'd opened a file in readonly
mode, :w will refuse to write it out, but :w! will write it anyway
(file permissions permitting of course). And :q will (the first time)
refuse to quit if you've changed but not saved a file, while :q! will
quit regardless.

It does make less sense with :r, except for syntactic consistency. Which
I like.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Patent laws: made for the benefit of little inventors, opposed by little
inventors, pushed by big corporations. Something is quite wrong.
- http://slashdot.org/~marcello_dl