Can't mount a floppy disk

Keith Powell keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk
Sun Aug 27 09:36:55 UTC 2006

I have installed FC5 with the KDE desktop. It's a very good
distribution and I am very pleased with it.

However, I need to be able to occasionally use floppy disks and I
can't get them to mount. Inserting a floppy, clicking on the desktop
"System" icon, going to Storage Media and clicking on the floppy disk
icon, brings up an error message that it can't be mounted. Neither
does it automatically mount when a floppy disk is loaded (in case it
should!).

I have tried going to the icon's properties and experimenting with
various mount points, but it's still the same. i have tried selecting
"automatically mount" but nothing.

Then I created a desktop link to the floppy device. It still didn't
mount. Again, I tried pointing the link to various device mount
points (guessing where to point it!), but nothing.

I can format a floppy, it's just that I can't mount it.

I'm lost and would appreciate it if someone would kindly point me in
the right direction.

If this has been asked before and answered, sorry for asking it again,
but I can't find it in the mailing list or forum archives.

Many thanks

Keith