xinetd as a daemon

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Aug 27 13:33:08 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 05:35 +0100, Thufir wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, François Patte wrote:
> [...]
> >> [root at arrakis ~]# chkconfig xinetd on
> >
> > Bad syntax, you should type:
> >
> > chkconfig --level 345 xinetd on
>
> Ah, I was going by the website.  The levels, 345, means that on poweroff,
> reboot, or whatever, that xinetd will start up automagically?

Actually your syntax above is the correct syntax most commonly used.

Your command line above uses the values in the startup script
in /etc/init.d/xinetd to select the runlevels to turn it on, and the
priority to use for both the start and kill sequences.
        # xinetd        This starts and stops xinetd.
        #
        # chkconfig: 345 56 50
With that it sets the start at priority/sequence 56 and stop at 50 and
will start in runlevels 3, 4, & 5

The syntax provided by Francois overrides the script values and sets the
runlevels in the command line.  In this case both are used identically.