evolution signature position?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 28 07:46:47 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 15:56 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> The good news is you can get evolution to run a program to create the
> signature as I have doene below using the fortune program.
>
> "Let me guess, Ed. Pentescostal, right?" -- Starcap'n Ra,
> ra at asuvax.asu.edu "Nope. Charismatic (I think - I've given up on what
> all those pesky labels mean)." -- Ed Carp, erc at unisec.usi.com "Same
> difference - all zeal and feel, averaging less than one working brain
> cell per congregation. Starcap'n Ra, you pegged him. Good work!" -- Kenn
> Barry, barry at eos.UUCP

Which, because Evolution composes messages in pseudo-HTML, even if you
eventually post as plain text, it ends up all rewrapped, losing the
formatting, which would have looked more like:

----------------- begin example ------------------------
"Let me guess, Ed. Pentescostal, right?"
 -- Starcap'n Ra,ra at asuvax.asu.edu

 -- Ed Carp, erc at unisec.usi.com

"Same difference - all zeal and feel, averaging less than one working
brain cell per congregation. Starcap'n Ra, you pegged him. Good work!"
 -- Kenn Barry, barry at eos.UUCP
-------------------- end example ---------------------

Which, dependent on what the fortune cookie was (e.g. quotes, limericks,
etc), is much better (looks better / easier to read).

A way to retain your formatting is to call you fortune through a script
wrapped with the appropriate PRE HTML tags, here's one way how:

--------- begin signature script ---------
#!/bin/bash
echo "<div>-- </div>"
echo "<pre>"
/usr/bin/fortune -s
echo "</pre>"
--------- end signature script ---------

The pre element keeps the original formatting of the fortune, and the
preceding div element gives you the conventional signature separator
character sequence (allowing good mail clients to automatically remove
the signature when replying).

Just stick a script like that somewhere that you, and perhaps others,
can execute scripts, and use that script (rather than the fortune one,
directly), for your signature script.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.